Amended May 2, 2018
The name of this organization shall be University Friends Circle.
University Friends Circle enhances strong relationships between University of California Merced and communities of the Central Valley through programs that promote social and intellectual interaction. University Friends Circle raises funds to support UC Merced endowed scholarships and a Student Impact Fund (SIF) that supports projects and student organizations that significantly contribute to UC Merced student success. University Friends Circle is open to all who support the mission and activities of the organization.
- Membership shall be open to anyone interested in supporting the mission of University Friends Circle.
- The period of membership shall be based upon a fiscal year beginning July 1 and ending June 30.
- Annual dues shall be paid in order to maintain membership in good standing. The Board will determine the amount of the membership dues annually. Active membership dues shall be payable on or after the first day of July. Members who have not paid shall become inactive on the first day of November.
In compliance with the policy of the University of California, the organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation. This nondiscrimination policy covers membership selection, activities, policies and practices of the Organization.
- The Board shall have the power to conduct, manage, and control the affairs and business of University Friends Circle.
- The Board shall be familiar with and abide by the current UC Merced administrative policies and procedures for unincorporated University support groups.
- The Board shall consist of the following voting officers: a President, one or more Vice Presidents, one or more Secretaries, a Financial Liaison, the Immediate Past President; the Chancellor or the Chancellor’s designees and any other officers/appointees the Board deems necessary. The exact number of people on the Board for the new academic year shall be determined by the outgoing Board.
- The term of office for the Board and/or committees shall be one year beginning July 1 and ending June 30. Elections will be conducted annually.
- A majority of the members present at a meeting of the Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of any and all business.
- The Board shall determine the committees of University Friends Circle and their charge and shall appoint committee chairs and delegate authority to them to perform the work necessary for the operation of the organization. Authority shall also be delegated to the committee chairs to appoint co-chairs.
- The Board is responsible for a plan for the year’s program, activities and budget, which should be approved by the September board meeting.
- In the event of a Board Member’s resignation, the President shall appoint a replacement with the approval of the Board. If the President resigns, the order of succession will be as follows until the position of President is filled: Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and Immediate Past President.
- The nominating committee will be chaired by the Immediate Past President, who along with the current President, will select two other members of the committee.
- Nominations of Officers shall be accepted for members in good standing. The nominating committee shall attempt to present a slate of officers who represent both the University and the Community.
- The Nominating Committee shall present its recommended slate of Officers to the organization in writing at least 30 days before the election is held at the Annual Spring Business meeting. Nominations from the floor may be made before the vote is taken.
- President. The President shall be responsible for the on-going business of the organization and shall see that all orders and resolutions of the Board are carried into effect. The President shall preside over meetings of the membership.
- Vice President(s). The First Vice President performs the duties and exercises the powers of the President in the absence or disability of the President and performs any other duties as assigned by the President. Other Vice Presidents shall perform additional duties and such other powers as the Board of Directors shall prescribe.
- The Secretary(s). The Secretary shall be responsible for recording and any other duties as prescribed by the President or the Board.
- Financial Liaison. The Financial Liaison shall be responsible to coordinate with the appropriate UCM staff member/s to report on the organization’s operating account and endowed scholarship fund as well as oversee the financial health of the organization. The Financial Liaison will keep a log of requests, decisions and evaluations for SIF.
- Immediate Past President. The immediate Past President will serve as a voice of wisdom for University Friends Circle and as Chairman of the Nominating Committee.
- Chancellor or Associate of the Chancellor will participate in meetings as he or she deems appropriate, and will maintain an active working relationship with the president when possible.
- Chancellor’s Designee will act as liaison between University Friends Circle and UC Merced.
University Friends Circle shall hold a minimum of two gatherings and/or programs during the academic year, one of which will be an annual business meeting which will include the election and installation of officers, and the Annual Treasurer’s report.
The standing rules and regulations of the Board of Directors and the annual meetings shall be based on Robert’s Rule of Order.
The fiscal year of University Friends Circle will be from July 1 through June 30.
Scholarships and Student Impact Funds (SIF) – The number of scholarships and SIF awards and the dollar amount that may be dedicated to them shall be determined by the Board each year.
Amendments to the bylaws shall be proposed by the Board, in writing to the general membership at least one month prior to the next general meeting. Amendments will require a two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote of those present at the general meeting.