The University Friends Circle Book Club meets on the first Thursday of the month at 3:30 p.m. at Barnes & Noble in Merced.
Common Interest Committee Co-Chairs Pauline Cuchna (email@example.com) and Martha Goodwin (firstname.lastname@example.org) invite all UFC members to join them for robust discussion each month. Book Club members rotate responsibility for book selection. Our next meeting, in which we will discuss the September book, will be on Thursday, December 1, 2022.
November 2022 Book of the Month: The Night Ship by Jess Kidd. Based on a true story, The Night Ship is an epic historical novel that illuminates the lives of two characters: a girl shipwrecked on an island off Western Australia and, three hundred years later, a boy finding a home with his grandfather on the very same island.
Previous titles have included:
- October 2022: The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams
- September 2022: Horse by Geraldine Brooks
- May 2022: Participants chose from four options: The Resurrection of Fulgencio Ramirez, Lessons in Chemistry, Great Circle, or The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
- April 2022: The Sanatorium: A Novel by Sarah Pearse
- March 2022: The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See
- February 2022: Violeta by Isabel Allende
- January 2022: The Second Mrs. Astor by Shana Abé
- November 2021: Passing by Nella Larsen
- October 2021: The Secret Keeper of Jaipur by Alka Joshi
- September 2021: The Stranger in the Mirror by Liv Constantine
- August 2021: Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton
- July 2021: The Tide Between Us by Olive Collins